Roughly 75 percent of MN SNAP’s subsidized surgeries are for owned pets. How can we help you become a client?
MN SNAP provides high-quality and affordable spay and neuter surgery to qualifying families across the state of Minnesota.
Clients must meet financial qualifications in order to utilize MN SNAP services for their pet.
You must present a Minnesota ID and qualify in one of the three following ways.
1. You participate in a needs-based public assistance program (proof required).
- Food Stamps
- HUD Section 8 Housing
- Medical Assistance (MA, MA-EPD)
- MinnesotaCare (MNCare, UCare)
- Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program (WIC)
- Social Security Disability (SSDI)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- VA Disability
2. You earned less than $45,000 as an individual or less than $60,000 as a family in the past year (copy of most recent income tax return required).
3. You are the caretaker of feral or free-roaming cats.
- Kittens must weigh at least two pounds.
- Puppies* must be at least eight weeks old. *Toy breed puppies must be at least three months old.
- All rabbits must be at least six months old.
- Pets must be healthy, hydrated and eating the day of surgery.
- Our anesthetic protocol does not require pets to be fasted. In fact, we discourage it.
- Dogs must be taken out to potty before check-in.
- Rabbits must have hay and water in their cage.
- Pets must be temperamentally sound or muzzled.
- Pets must arrive in a carrier or kennel.
- If you do not have access to a carrier, contact us so we can loan you one.
- MN SNAP only has extra carriers for pets 20 pounds and under.
- Carriers/kennels must be marked with both owner and pet names.
- Animals that are pregnant or in heat can be safely spayed.
A pre-surgical physical exam will determine
- Pet’s gender
- Sterilization status
- Hydration level
- Activity level
- Body condition
- Heart sounds
- External parasites
- Presence of an umbilical hernia
- Obvious signs of disease such as vomiting, diarrhea, coughing or sneezing
- *Patients with skin disease will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Free nail trim for all dogs, cats and rabbits
- Sterilization certificates
- Post-surgical instructions
- Core vaccination information
- Go-home pain medication for dogs
|Cat or Rabbit Neuter||$40|
|Cat or Rabbit Spay||$50|
|Dog Spay or Neuter (under 50 lbs.)||$60|
|Dog Spay or Neuter (over 50 lbs.)||$70|
|VACCINATIONS & OTHER SERVICES|
|Rabies (for pets over 3 months old)||$10|
|PRC (panleukopenia/rhinotracheitis/calcivirus combo for cats)||$10|
|DHPP (distemper/hepatitis/parainfluenza/parvovirus combo for dogs)||$10|
|Topical flea/ear mite/tick treatment||$15|
|Injectable tapeworm medication||$10|
|Microchip including registration||$20|